-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Garden of Gabriella Moller and Henry Burton


How wonderful to be walking down a residential street in a large city and come across a garden so exuberant that it spills out onto the sidewalk and resumes on the other side!  


In places, the flagstone paths include cool ceramic tiles made by an artist friend.



On either side of the entry stairs are these beach collections.  

I'm fond of this idea!  What a great way to remember a special getaway!


Very nice combination!

As we travel around to the back of the house, the garden takes on a more natural and restful feeling.

There are still elements of civilization but it's hard to believe we're in the middle of the city while immersed in this oasis of green.

 Gabriella and Henry were very kind, even moving the sign in pages (and yummy treats) inside the house because it might have rained at some point.
 What's better than getting to see so many gardens?  Enjoying the gardeners who create and tend them!


 I laughed out loud when I saw this model of the Chrysler Building.  It represents the antithesis of this garden's wild beauty.  An artist friend loved this building and made models of it.  How fun is that?
 These gardeners are gifted at creating a garden that in some parts looks as if it's totally wild but most certainly is not.

On our way out, I couldn't resist taking a picture, with her permission, of this fellow garden tourist whose coat matched the bush on the left!
Thanks Gabriella and Henry for opening your garden to us!  I hope it was as much fun for you as it was for us!

27 comments:

  1. It was really fun to meet the gardeners on this tour. I don't remember the individual gardeners last year being so present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it was great to be able to interact with the gardeners!

      Delete
  2. The paths are particularly intriguing! It definitely IS a surprising green, sheltered "oasis" in a city setting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when gardens spill into the parking strips. Some in particular are so abundant you forget for a moment you are waking down the street. Gardeners who create these parking strip extensions obviously can't have any piece of land go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I am very fond of walking through a sidewalk garden! Seattle seems to have quite a few.

      Delete
  4. Love that sidewalk shot with Alison!

    So a plant question. In photo DSC_6141 do you know what the tall plant on the right, behind the tilted patterned container is? It looks "ferny" but also not at the same time. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could it be valeriana officinalis? Would you like some? It could arrive at your home this weekend.

      Delete
  5. Wow, the sidewalk is epic! I wish all houses were like that on the approach. And any garden with a hammock wins mega points in my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a hammock in a garden but I seldom sit still in my garden and knowing what an oaf I am I'd probably fall out of one. On the other hand, if Homer Simpson can do it...

      Delete
  6. I like that the garden is without artifice but still conveys the personality of the gardeners. I love those ceramic tiles built into the flagstone path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great that we all have our own vision of Eden and that we can appreciate each other's interpretation of that vision? The tiles were something an artist friend made but didn't work for the application so were given to the gardeners. Sweet!

      Delete
  7. Lovely Gabriella and Henry's garden!
    I think the foliage and its combination is wonderful, as the paths, they are made very creatively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Nadezda! I hope you are enjoying your garden and are having nice weather!

      Delete
  8. Love the cultivated wild feel of this garden, an oasis of calm within a city! Loving the first shot too with the plants spilling over the edges of the pathway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've got a lot going on in a fairly small garden but it works well and is very peaceful.

      Delete
  9. A lovely garden to visit, not to controlled and not too wild, just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No weeds. Anywhere. How do they do it? Absolutely gorgeous garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I knew! Sold their souls? Extra help getting ready for the tour? Maybe they're just very dedicated?

      Delete
  11. How did I miss this one? What a wonderful, relaxed garden. I love the tiles, especially the kingfisher. That euphorbia and black mondo grass do make a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun garden! Alison and I are off on another adventure tomorrow. Lots of posts to come.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.