-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, December 6, 2013

A Little Plant Shopping at Windmil Gardens

The  event space gazebo is looking lovely with evergreens and white pansies at it's feet.


Bright red berries on a viburnum add seasonal cheer.

Lovely gift choices for gardeners abound at Windmill even now.

Perhaps not everyone wants a holly plant.  Birds love the seeds so they spring up like weeds all over my garden.

Winter pansies are pretty wonderful.  When it freezes outside, like it has right now, they lay down flat on the ground and they look like they're goners.  A little warming and they stand back up and continue blooming.
 Behind the "Staff Only" signs (I'm so good at following directions) was this big shipment of two of the new great Sunset introductions that have been flooding the market this year.   Windmill also "greenhouses"  (yes, it's now a verb)  lots of plants for designers of the Northwest Flower and Garden Show so I don't know if these are for a certain garden there or if they're simply stock that is getting some protection.


This mutant artichoke is very Dr. Seussian!

 Meanwhile in the indoor plant area lots of plants were wearing red, pink, and green for the Holiday season!  Rex Begonias always scream "Merry Christmas" no matter the time of year.


 
Bromeliads will be blooming for months! 

This one called my name, there were two of them and they were very reasonably priced.  Maybe I need to go back. 

These Cryptanthus  also wanted to hitch a ride home with me but the house is pretty full of plants right now. 

They'd be really sweet in my classroom though. 

Did everyone's grandmother, great aunt, and second cousin by marriage twice removed have a Schlumbergera or two that would be marveled over at bloom time?  Seeing them in bloom reminds me of many of my relatives who grew/ still grow them.

The Easter Bunny seems to be trying to pick up some off-season work.  Just don't stroke this bunny's ears!  You have been warned!
 
 As Loree says,  If you look hard enough, there's always an agave.
 
And what's this?  Looking pretty dangerous.

Lots of little Agave 'Jaws' 

With this informative leaflet.  Hmm, Agaves in pots; what a great idea!

Someone has been reading Danger Garden!
 

22 comments:

  1. I wouldn't mind several of those little Mahonia 'Soft Caress', assuming that they'll be much cheaper coming at that size (big ones here are still very expensive).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed the price being all that high here. They're sure sweet plants!

      Delete
  2. Oh, if you go back, let me know, I'll meet you there. Those Cryptanthus are pretty cool, and I can always use more Begonias and Bromeliads. Mine that I brought in are slowly dying back. One has no leaves at all, and I'm hoping in the spring it will pop back up. They're probably not getting quite enough light in my front living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of calling you but wasn't sure if you'd be in the mood to do Windmill with your back still healing. Now I'd fear taking houseplants from the greenhouse to the car. When temps warm up a bit, lets meet there for lunch and shopping.

      Delete
  3. Haha, I love that they're helping people here in the PNW understand how they too can grow agaves. Wish they would have mentioned the container should have a hole for drainage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And really fast-draining soil if you're planning on leaving them out for the winter!

      Delete
  4. I'm so torn on Hollies. There is one down the street that is just beautiful right now, just covered in red berries...but I don't particularly love the hundreds of seedlings I will have to pull up next spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I inherited a few that cover up part of an unsightly back fence. I've cut some down but when I grew up in AK, holly was something exotic, like cardinals, that we'd see in Christmas cards or sometimes get a sprig or two in a floral arrangement. I'm still kind of thrilled when I see those glossy green leaves with the pretty red berries.

      Delete
  5. I purchased Mahonia Soft Caress a couple of months ago. Couldn't resist the name, the fragrant winter blooms or the shady spot requirement. Love the picture of the gazebo and viburnum berries; It took me 14 years to figure this out but I think the true magic of the garden comes out in winter. Did someone say Flower and Garden Show?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love the Mahonia! I have really enjoyed mine which grew really for a few years in a pot and then got a nice space in the garden. The winter garden certainly has its charms! Hey, the Flower and Garden Show is only a few weeks away (8 is a few, right?)

      Delete
  6. Love the Astelias and Mahonias. I think Sunset has our number, for sure. And I wonder if I could be a long-lost cousin of yours, Peter - I have had a wonderful salmon-orange Schlumbergera for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunset does have our number! I didn't get one of the Astelias this year but wonder how they'll fare in this horrible cold! I also have a couple of Schlumbergias that have been around for ages. They're fun, easy to grow, and they have an exhuberant bloom time. I'm now certain that we're somehow related!

      Delete
  7. Amazing! I would buy up all of those mahonia and astelia pots!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're lovely but right now we'd have a heck of a time planting them in the frozen ground!

      Delete
  8. Lovely! I'd buy a Christmas rose (can't remember its official name right now...). Happy Saturday, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been looking for a Mahonia 'Soft Caress' since I 1st saw the plant - I've yet to find one and there you are with a nursery containing dozens! For some reason, Sunset plants don't seem to be offered at any of the local nurseries I frequent. The only place I've ever seen them was a big box store - perhaps I need to check in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahonia 'Soft Caress' was a new introduction several years ago and was marketed by Novalis’ Plants That Work®. This latest Sunset marketing of the plant is interesting. Anyway, it's a great plant and I hope you're enjoying one or several in your garden soon!

      Delete
  10. Might as well enjoy the holly in your yard if you like it. The birds will see that you get seedlings anyway. We have never planted any but they pop up everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birds do enjoy planting things for us don't they. The great part about holly is that I don't feel at all guilty about cutting lots of it for Christmas decoration if I decide to decorate.

      Delete
  11. Maybe not everyone wants a holly, but I do. A winterberry, if possible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.