-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Caution, This Vehichle Stops For No Apparent Reason!

You've perhaps seen the bumper stickers that say things like, "This car stops at all garage sales!" or Vehicle stops at all quilt shops, light houses, covered bridges, nurseries, insert your passion or interest here.  These stickers are parodies of safety notices like, "This Vehicle stpos at all raliroad crossings."   Since carrying my camera with me more often and always having my eye out for things of interest while I'm driving,  I'm thinking that my car should have a sticker that reads, "Caution! This Vehile Stops for No Apparent Reason! 

Recently, on my way home from work, I spotted a huge bed of Lavandula stoechas or Spanish Lavender outside of the county courthouse in full bloom, the sun shining gloriously on it.  You'd pull over for that, right?

 
On closer inspection
 
 
The upper part of the courthouse has so much of this stuff growing in huge beds that it's almost overwhelming!
 
There's quite a buzz about it!
 


 It was quite nice, on this unseasonably warm (86 degrees F) day to enjoy the warmth, the sun, and the industrious bees.


 The combination of the colors of Lavender and honey bees was wonderful!  The bees didn't like to pose for the camera, though.


I wonder if there's a bee keeper nearby as there were a lot of happy bees flying around.

I like breaking randomly to get out and enjoy little bits of nature in places as unlikely as a courthouse/jail complex in the middle of an urban area.

 
How about you, caused any accidents lately?
 

26 comments:

  1. I'm planning to stop today ...two goats and a rusty old truck covered in bramble ...photo fun !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like fun! Looking forward to seeing your pictures!

      Delete
  2. HMMMM, I think I need the same bumper sticker. Sometimes I go around the block on my way to work to look at an amazing plant a second time. Very tempted to stop and knock on the door to ask, "What is the name of that plant?!!!!!!!" Haven't done it yet :^), so far!!! Awesome photos!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny! I sometimes wonder if fabulous plants/gardens visible from the street are the gardeners equivalent of the candy house in Hansel and Gretel. I've knocked on a couple of doors and only found nice people happy to talk about plants. So far, so good!

      Delete
  3. I've often wanted to just stop and take photos of things I see while driving, but I've never done it. I've never knocked on doors either. You're a lot braver than I am. There's a house in Sumner that has a wonderful garden out front, I've passed it occasionally while driving Nigel to the station. I should stop!

    I loved seeing these photos of Lavender and happy bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say braver, I think more stupid...
      Glad you liked the pictures.

      Delete
  4. I could almost hear those bees a buzzing, they do love the lavender. There's a lavender plant just around the corner that blooms green, I need to track one of those down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen a green-blooming lavender! You Portlanders are always coming up with something new and interesting!

      Delete
  5. Glorious! I love lavender! That is worth stopping for. I think my most recent slam on the breaks and pull over moment was seeing the pale powdery blue of a graceful eucalyptus tree illuminated by filtered sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your eucalyptus tree moment sounds gorgeous! I'm always in a hurry on my morning commute when some really beautiful things present themselves; the drive home is a whole different thing.

      Delete
  6. My kids would take away the keys if I did the "we brake for plants" thing, but I do park in lush neighborhoods to just wander around and take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told, I park and get out rather than slamming on the brakes. The police seem to like it that way. It's fun to wander around in interesting neighborhoods and click away!

      Delete
  7. It's good to actually take the time to stop and appreciate random nice things that otherwise most people just bypass or take for granted. Keep on stopping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After properly signaling and pulling off to the side of the road, right officer? It is a good thing to enjoy random nice things!

      Delete
  8. The Spanish Lavender are one of my absolute favorites!!!! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      I love lavender in other people's gardens! I never take proper care of it and mine always ends up not looking very good after a few years. Brushing against it and cutting the spent flowers off later in the year, sigh, what a wonderful experience. O.K. I'll go buy some again.

      Delete
  9. Not sure if I would stop though I'd certainly slow down. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the courthouse with lots of police cars parked around also helps one to slow down; the lavender thing was just an added bonus.

      Delete
  10. The lavender is worth stopping for, it's a favorite of mine too. So good to see all the busy bees as well, possibly lavender honey is on the way.

    I do try to stop for fun things I see around town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how those petals add so much color to This lavender even though I think others are a little more fragrant.

      Delete
  11. I wonder how much do the bees gorged before they call it a day. There must be a limit to how much their bellies can hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can always go back to the hive, make a deposit and return. Bees collect their body weight in pollen daily. Fascinating creatures!

      Delete
  12. I need the bumper sticker too. Let me know when you have them for sale. I'm sure you'll have many buyers.

    It warms my heart when municipalities choose plants that bees can devour. And don't you just love having a small camera at the ready for those random shots? So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice when I remember my camera. The Lavender choice is really a good one as it doesn't have to be replanted every year, needs little water, and looks good even when not in bloom. Looking forward to reading your memoir!

      Delete
  13. I've stopped for less than that! That is gorgeous and I'm sure you were not the first person to do that. Is it a coincidence that lavender is a calming herb and it's placed in front of a courthouse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about lavender being a calming herb and it being placed all around the courthouse. Interesting.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.