-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Totally Random Garden Stuff that Made Me Happy This Week.

 
 
Yes, it's supposed to be random Friday but why wait to share the joy.  I have the same philosophy when it comes to egg nog, fruit cake, and cookies; why wait until Christmas, they put this stuff on the shelves in October for a reason and who are we to postpone the enjoyment of it all.  Life's getting shorter every day.  This also explains why the only clothes I feel comfortable in of late  are sweats,  but I digress.  Here, without further ado are some shots of things in my garden that made me smile when I saw them.
 
The golden winter sun shining on the buds and branches of Paulownia tomentosa with real live blue sky in the background.

Dried seed heads of lunaria annua.  Yes it's a weed but I always allow a couple to grow because they are kind of sweet!

I got this fern in a pot this summer, was told that it's evergreen and is called fan fern.  This doesn't look anything like any of the fan ferns I've seen online.  It's certainly evergreen and very pretty.  The saying ignorance is bilss  must true as I'm a very happy person.  Anyway, if you know what the real name of this fern is, please let me know.  (I promise to still be happy.)


The gold culms of Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Allgold'  always make me happy to be alive and they're this color year round!
 Ignore the tilted pot please.  Schefflera delavayi started several years ago as a little slip of a thing in a small pot.  It's growing wider than tall but I guess that's o.k. The leaves look like they are lacking iron.  I know it's not a nitrogen deficiency.  Oh well, easy enough to remedy but what makes me so happy is that the plant lived through the two phormium killing winters we had three and two years ago and just keeps growing .  Hooray!
 
Late fall through spring are the only times of the year that buddha and the gunnera leaf are visible behind my pond. The rest of the year, the magnolia leaves mostly obscure this view.  I leave it because the magnolia blooms with the blue leaf and buddha make quite a lovely combination.

Yup, it's an Alberta Spruce in a gallon pot.  This Christmas, I decided not to decorate because I'm basically a grinch and a sloth.  My sister who lives in Alaska and, like our mother, decorates everything that doesn't move decided that I simply couldn't let a Christmas pass without some sort of decoration.  Came a box to my door this advent from Jackson and Perkins containing this sweet little tree tarted up to look like one of those ladies of a certain age that wear purple hats, red boas and the like.  I put it on our coffee table and plugged it in.  Voila, instant Christmas along with a reminder that I'm also of a certain age.  After enjoying the tree for a respectable period of time, I rescued it from it's festive garb and placed it outside. 


Here's a picture from the Jackson and Perkins website.  See why it makes me smile?



My ilex verticulata finally produced berries this year.  It's been a 15 year wait but the berries look amazing in front of the oh so blue Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Van Pelt's Blue.' 

I hope you  notice many things in your garden this week that make you smile for one reason or another!

21 comments:

  1. I guess I need to put on my raincoat and go outside to see if there's anything worth smiling about in my garden...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could smile because we don't live in Truth or Consequences NM where your recent pictures showed pictures of extraordinarily dry landscapes!

      Delete
  2. That tree is sooo tacky it's cool!

    I like this random happiness feature. We have a sunny day and lots of work to do in the garden so I will smile at the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first Christmas tree I'd ever seen that was wearing a boa! I kept all of the doo dads and the ornamental pot so that next year I can re live the magic.

      Yea for a sunny day and time to be able to work in the garden! Hope you have lots of fun!

      Delete
  3. Glad you're happy...now I am, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be happy but I won't be happy 'til I make you happy too!

      Delete
  4. Such a happy, positive post, it made me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congested soft shield fern?

    I have a couple of cone shaped Coprosma 'Karo Red' in red pots that I gave my spouse for Valentine's Day. I draped them in beaded garland, and added a tiny star on top. They weren't as gay as your tree, but they looked charming on the front porch.

    Oh....and women of a certain age wear red hats and purple boas. My sister, the miliner, says they've ruined the market for red hats. They only want silly cheap ones, and no one else wants them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much like Congested soft shield fern but there is a fanning out at the top of the frond rather than the usual tapering to a point.

      Your decorated Coprosmas sound like a delightful Valentine's Day gift!

      Sorry about the red hat market! Red is such a lovely color for smart hat!

      Delete
  6. Loved seeing all that made you happy. I didn't know the money plant was a weed. I've always wanted one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love money plants and have inherited them in my last couple of gardens. They're biennial and do seed around quite a bit but are easily pulled. I love the magenta flowers at late tulip time!

      Delete
    2. P.S. remind me in the fall and I'll save seeds if you'd like some.

      Delete
  7. Your bamboo brightened my day. I have been cooped away, rolled up in the fetal, and trying to convince myself it will eventually warm up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will warm up someday! In the meantime, enjoy a long nap (say for the next couple of months.) but do poke your head out on February 2 and let us know if you see your shadow or not.

      Delete
  8. I don't think of money plant as a weed! I've purchased the dried branches to use in arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful but because it grows effortlessly in alleys and abanoned places it isn't held in high esteem by some folks. Funny isn't it that we want tough plants but when they oblige us, we think less of them. Fickle people!

      Delete
  9. Ahh, I have a weak spot for Lunaria as well...especially during winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those seed heads catch the sun (when we get it) so beautifully.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely post. It's so nice to reflect on things that make us happy in the garden instead of always thinking about the next project, the next weekend of weeding. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing what made you happy--and now, you've inspired me to spend some time thinking the same about my garden. Thank you! (Our poor Buddha lost his head in an unfortunate incident involving a garden hose. We need a new Buddha.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Buddha lost his head? Was it a clean break? Could it be glued back together? Could you put a funky head on in it's place like the face of Bozo the Clown, an animal or something from a religious statue? If he's seated, could he be holding his head in his lap? So many possibilities! Yup, thinking about what makes me smile in my yard is a great way to avoid actually doing all of the work that it needs to have done.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.